Thread: Licensed Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-05, 22:41   Link #848
SamCurt

Well, since Enzo made a brief reply, I finally got an excuse to make one-- and I'd better off clump several matters at once.

1. Sage has released their subs for OVA1 (High School Boys and Ideals); and based on the amount of peers I saw yesterday, I expect most people who watched the main series also took that ep.

2. Manga.
Spoiler for Chapters 97 and 98:

3. Some further reflections.

3a. Tadakuni. In my opinion, Tadakuni is a foil, and still is. However my reading of the manga appears to me that the series was originally intended center around him to foil his (slightly) odd classmates. Eventually, however, the direction was changed so that readers became the foil themselves and Tadakuni's necessity within the main trio is no longer that high. At around the same time the cast was expanded, and a few more characters had became foils as well-- first there is Motoharu, and now Takahiro.
When does that happen? Late Volume 1 to early 2 manga-wise; Tadakuni's line about "not seeing Hidenori and Yoshitake as much" in High School Boys and Eavesdropping made a note: "After Chapter 17." That Chapter is 23.

3b. Character Parallels.
Checking out the Beach/Hot Springs arc (Ep 3), why I suddenly has the feeling that Karasawa is not that different from Hidenori? Probably because Karasawa correctly repeated Hidenori's punchline twice...
If that's the case, then the student council would be a "washed-up" version of the main trio: (Funky trip added as comparison)
Tadakuni--Motoharu--Habara (foil)
Hidenori--Karasawa--Yanagin (the odd one)
Yoshitake--Veep--Ikushima (principles above everything)
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote