View Single Post
Old 2009-01-13, 00:49   Link #33
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
Kanako's story was pretty weak in the novels, too, so I didn't expect much. Not one of the stronger episodes because of the source material.
Ah. Well that explains that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post
But I absolutely love the Yumi/Touka interactions. Every time Touka throws out some tsuntsun attitude, Yumi responds with a big smile and a "that's nice, now let's go hang out!" and gets Touka so flustered she doesn't know how to respond. Lol.
One big reason why this works so well is that Touko's standoffishness doesn't have a chance against Yumi's behavior; and that she's completely drawn into Yumi's pace. That's why I find Touko endearing instead of being overweening - her character archetype is allowed to controls scenes to too great a degree, but Touko can barely seize the initiative against Yumi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Really. It is so enjoyable to see Yumi do that and just carry Touka along. In previous series, I have almost hated Touka. But not now. Previously she seemed to have a big psychological edge on Yumi. But now we see how much Yumi has developed in "a year."
Most of that edge stemmed from Yumi's sense of vulnerability, and her lack of understanding of Touko's character. While the change partially comes from Yumi's development, it also has a lot to do with simply having a more fleshed-out relationship with Touko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercFH View Post
also along with the others Im really starting to like Touko-chan. of course I liked her in 3rd season too.

QUESTION:I totally forget......was she in second season at all?
Big time. She was the perceived source of Yumi's problems with Sachiko. At the time, Yumi and Touko's relationship is very different from the way it is now, so it's definitely worth rewatching.

By the way, I'd like to remind everyone that her name is Matsudaira Touko; this reference to "Touka" is starting to make me doubt if I'm remembering her name correctly .