View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 19:50   Link #198
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Not unless you count actively squirming in my seats upon hearing the weekday soap opera quality lines delivered by a crappy actor as "analyzing".

"I hate sand, it's coarse and it get's everywhere, unlike here, where everything is soft, and smooth"

"No, it's because I'm so in love with you!"

I still cringe when I remember those scenes. The original trilogy were hardly Oscar material, but at least they weren't this bad.
You know it's bad when you feel embarrassed for the movie. With Attack of the Clones, I found it was a decent Action-Adventure Fantasy movie married to a god awful romance film. The film would have been a lot better if the Anakin/Padme scenes were rewritten or cut.

Though generally Hayden Christiansen was bad. Wooden as a plank. I think Lucas makes for a poor script-writer/director. The prequels are a case of him having too much control and running it into the ground. The original trilogy were nothing incredible in the script/directing department, but they didn't have the excesses of the prequels.

Lucas should stick to what he's good at, special effects, and leave the rest for film-makers better skilled at that kind of thing. In fact, you could see the beginnings of the problems the prequel trilogy had in Return of the Jedi. Empire Strikes back really had just the right balance, and it's also the film where Lucas had the least direct control.

I bet by the time of the prequels Lucas had such a big name that no one dared to to oppose any of his bad decisions. It's something I've seen happen to many creative types, they strain against their executive oversight, but once they hit it big and their name carries weight, they run away with themselves. Look at Coppola and One From the Heart.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote