View Single Post
Old 2009-04-06, 22:57   Link #14
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Well, I will admit that EF would lose a lot of its effectiveness if it wasn't so different from conventional animation styles.

I do, however, often find myself wondering if it could be possible to switch into an EF type style for certain types of scenes. It seems to me like it's a very useful style for when the emotions the characters are feeling are far, far more intense than anything that's actually happening on screen. And again, I think season 2 episode 6 is kind of the quintessential example of this: it's just a conversation, but I found myself going "holy crap" as the scene progressed. It's also much, much longer than a lot of "big reveal" scenes I've seen in anime, in part I think because the surrealism allows things to build in a way a more realistic portrayal wouldn't.

I think it's interesting to note that one commentator described EF as having the most visual novel like feel of any VN adaptation he had scene. I'm not really surprised because the closest thing I've experienced to the aforementioned scene is some of the "wham" moments in the VN Ever 17: again, some rather long scenes that were far more emotionally charged than a portrayal of what was actually happening that moment would have captured.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote