View Single Post
Old 2010-06-15, 09:28   Link #250
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
But outside of the last episode, I can't think of many examples at all where School Days uses empty shock value. I think people make this show to be a lot dumber than it really is... I thought a lot of care was taken to balancing things so that the characters could be morons or jerks but still remain in-character and have believable reasons for acting in such a way, and I was also impressed with the very measured, gradual rate at which the characters lost themselves and changed from their beginning series selves to their end. Sometimes it seems like people think the School Days cast is stupid enough to break suspension of disbelief simply because they're not perfect, the same way anyone that shows any emotion or frustration in response to problems is emo, angsty, and annoying. (I'm mostly defending the first ten episodes here, I agree that the finale is over the top and so's 11 in parts.)
One thing that made me so angry with this series is the reason why it had such an impact - it was that good. They put everything together nicely and did just like you said, kept a nice balance.