Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-17, 17:54   Link #203
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Of course, there is the question whether Sumire ever will get started, given that her motive in joining the club is front-and-center Taichi. We have had the same arguments about Taichi, since his motives in starting and participating in the club have centered around Chihaya. Ultimately, I don't think the difference matters. To dedicate yourself to a sport, or to a beloved, at least as Taichi does--these require the same sort of attention, patience, and work, so that we can recognize that Taichi is well started too, even if his ultimate goals are not karuta. So I don't think there is a paradox for Taichi that you speak of: it is the seeking, not the achieving, that finally matters, and seeking in love is just as substantial as in seeking excellence in karuta--at least in the cultivation of character and fundamental Japanese values, which is really what I think Suetsugu finally cares about. Actually becoming Meijin, or going out with Chihaya, or going out with Taichi (in Sumire's case), is just icing.
I totally agree with you here about how unimportant someone's motives are for joining the club, like even the personal goals. Everyone somehow got a chance to start over/change and what really matters is how they will use this chance. And that's what the show is about as you have so well described. And at the same time is where I slip a bit away, trying to mix it with the romance part of the show. Because even if I get your analogy between love and excellence as something entrenched with the japanese culture, still it doesn't fit well with my personal view about love. I mean, even if I find Taichi dedication to his beloved extremely romantic despite the outcome, I can't avoid to think that if the outcome wouldn't be favorable all his dedication would be pointless. Like gazing at the rains. That's because I give to love and karuta two different roles. In short, I think that Taichi sooner or later should be able to step over his devotion for Chiahaya, that doesn't mean to stop loving her, simply that his actions could be driven by himself alone and not by himself AND his devotion. But at the same time I would not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
I think Suetsugu is certainly aware of social class divisions--she has Nishida remark on that when he is amazed by Taichi's family's wealth, or when he disses Taichi as a rich boy for using family money to fly to a karuta tournament. But as you suggest, she turns to karuta as a kind of corrective or an alternative to class privilege. So Taichi's efforts in excelling in karuta are a rebellion against his family, an effort to succeed on his own initiative, and an attempt to become a part of a community where he can leave class issues behind. So you can easily understand Taichi to represent Suetsugu's critical perspective on class issues.

Sorry, but I've run out of time for now. If you like, we can pick this up later. Thanks for the illuminating feedback.
I caught here and there the remarks you are pointing out, but I didn't give them much importance (my fault here probably), because I never thought that Taichi condition has ever gone overboard. The time he went to that Karuta tournament I was sure he would have offered to pay it for Chihaya, instead IIRC, he didn't ask her. I mean, he never abused of his situation. On the matter I have a different view of what Guardian Enzo reported about him being the villain. But I need to elaborate it a bit, because as always your posts gave me a lot to think about and it's really engaging.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote