View Single Post
Old 2009-10-29, 22:03   Link #133
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskbreaker View Post
Still, i can't help but think that it may have not been a complete act on Beato's part. That very brief teary-eyed moment before she let the cat out of the bag, coupled with Lambdadelta's "keep playing or else!" threat toward Beato makes it look like there's much more to it than it seems.
That's how I've always felt as well. After that troll in the VN, I wanted so bad to go back to hating Beato, but I just couldn't...because I can't believe that all of that was fake somehow. Beato seemed genuinely upset when Battler first told her to get lost, before Virgillia presents the idea of the North Wind and the Sun to her (though if I recall correctly she mentioned it a little sooner in the VN, so the Anime would give further 'evidence' of a truly nice Beato before she gets that idea). I think Beatrice really has a deeper reason for pulling Battler into this game with her than simply 'to be acknowledged as a witch', or because she's a pawn in Lambda's own game. I think that Beatrice really did learn something about being a good witch during that time, but she found an opportunity at the end to play it up to her advantage after taking out that pesky Eva-B.

I don't think the whole thing was planned from the time of her fight with Virgillia, though. Then again, it's awfully hard to pinpoint timeframes for this sort of thing on the anti-fantasy side; I believe in the witches and everything that goes on in the Meta-World, but judging Beato's 'good' actions without being able to consider her George/Shannon and Jessica/Kanon involvement is somewhat difficult. The Magic Fight with Virgillia is the same thing, really - if it never actually happened, then for all we know the two were planning something from the get-go and it was all staged, but somehow I just don't see that. I think Beato got the idea for her North Wind and the Sun Strategy exactly where we saw her get it, and that everything we saw before that was at least somewhat genuine. Virgillia however...she's really hard to judge. It would make more sense for her to help Battler all along and get him to trust her if it was all pre-planned from the beginning, but still...augh, it's all so confusing. Any time I try to overthink things in this series I just fry my brain ^^;

I don't believe Eva being the culprit either, though. I can see her going gold-crazy and killing at least Rosa and Maria, possibly everyone else, but if she did I think George and Hideyoshi would have to either be in on it or at least spared without knowing what was going on. Eva can be a bitch, but you can tell how deep her love for Hideyoshi is, and her devotion to George. She wouldn't (at least willingly) kill them. And even aside from that, the arc is set up way too easily to point to Eva as the culprit. If it were true, then that would just be lame. Kinda like how Rosa is insanely suspicious in EP2, but I don't think she's involved in the murders just because it would be way too easy to pin it on her. Umineko is just too much of a mindfuck for the 'easy' suspect to be the one.