View Single Post
Old 2012-08-27, 15:26   Link #96
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Can someone tell me more about the distribution model for 'doujin music'?

Music that gets released at conventions such as comiket. I guess you would have to go there to buy it. But what about afterwards?
I see a lot of this music circling over the same channels as the usual fansubs.
Is this piracy, or do the creators freely share it? How would one go about aquiring these albums?
After events, one method is to get doujin speciality stores such as Tora no Ana to carry their CDs, just like how doujin manga gets sold. Some would setup web ordering and some would just keep them and sell them at the next event. I think some had also put them up for sale on digital stores such as iTunes. Some also share samples of their CDs on websites but rarely will they put the whole album up for free.

Legally speaking, distribution of content without permission of the original owner/creator is piracy, regardless of whether it is doujin work or not. So 99% of the time the circulation of doujin music is technically piracy as well with the 1% is those times where the owner did share that one piece on their own website etc.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote