View Single Post
Old 2012-08-28, 11:31   Link #30224
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The thing is, hair color is fair game; Beatrice's gets mentioned a lot and is a plot point. Then the game goes and portrays Jessica as also being blonde, except it never suggests she actually is in the text and no suspicion is ever thrown on Jessica for having blonde hair (because, presumably, she doesn't really). So what was the point of that? I think it was a cheap way to make people suspect her for no reason other than that she was drawn that way.
Yeah, or perhaps Ryukishi didn't even think that far, so why should we? Personally, I never thought that the sprites of each character could actually give us any hint of some sort, let alone their hair color (okay, except for Kanon looking ridiculously similar to Shannon, but rather than a hint, this was most probably done to avoid things like 'this can't be, Kanon and Shannon look nothing like each other' e.t.c.). And the Beatrice dressup game is really not practical as it excludes absolutely all males apart from perhaps Kanon from suspicion. The blond hair doesn't really work either because anyone could get a blond wig. I think anyone who tried to say 'Jessica is the culrpit because she's blond' would themselves be aware of the fact that they are utterly ridiculous.

Quote:
But it is relevant. We need to know more about Battler in order to understand what he may have actually done that weekend and what kind of person he became later. We need to know if the Battler that existed was the same as Yasu's stories portrayed him (remember, she's writing off, at best, having met him again for a day and a half, and at worst hasn't met him at all at the time the stories are written).
Or perhaps we can create many theories based on the information that we do have. Prime is sort of a cat-box where you can suppose anything, so I think it's interesting to have the six-year-gap available for forgery reasonings. I still think all relevant information (at least as far as the stories are concerened) was discussed.

Plus, Ange's memories of Battler do seem to match with his character in the message bottles.

Quote:
We need to know these things especially because Ryukishi himself floated the Battler Culprit idea but hasn't given us enough information to know if we should take it seriously. Given only the stories, it seems entirely absurd that such a thing would be possible, because Battler has no motive and no disposition to do it. So why even bring up the prospect in ep7/8 and an extra TIP? But we can't really take that line of thinking anywhere, because we just don't know what other details there were in his life.
I personally think that Black Battler was created only so that they could make a Battler clone in Ougon.

But seriously now, it never was meant to be any hint towards Battler being the culrpit. Black Battler personifies the idea the concept of a culprit Battler and he's plainly a theoretical existence created by all the people who believe Battler is the culprit. There's nothing more into him.

But I still believe it was all just to avoid making new characters for the game. Clones are cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
But as usual Ryuukishi gives us mixed inputs, because Bernkastel clearly mentions the fact that she gave Erika her peculiar hair color. Which means Erika in the gameboard is actually supposed to have blue hair.
Of course she's a fictional character, but then... aren't they all?
Thta's what I'm talking about. They're all fictional characters in a fictional story set up in a fictional universe which isn't the least bit realistic, so to question the realism as far as the hair colors are concerned is just stupid.

Okay, the Battler-Ange-Kyrie hair color is a whole different story. That might raise some understandable questions (come to think of it, the Lion-Jessica too?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork Chimera View Post
1) It's a matter of perspective, I think. I'm not saying that Alchemist's art is better (I actually don't like that much the remakes they make), and I'll admit that at least Ryuu made a good effort, but he took a lot of shorcuts. Maybe he was smart. Maybe he was lazy. But the art is sloppy.
Then again, he's a doujin writer, so *shruggs*
Oh no, he is lazy, whenever he can cut corners, he does, but that doesn't make the making of the art any less difficult or time consuming. And that doesn't mean his art isn't great. His facial expressions are beyond comparison.

Quote:
Taking pictures... Am I the only one that had a Tomitake=Ryuukishi07 theory when read that? I can see the guy taking shots of that Hinamizawa IRL and talking with the villagers.
Not improbable at all.

Quote:
2) Even if you deny me the right to be human, an argument cannot be undone but by reasoning. I could be a flying monkey, but more important I'm a flying monkey with a point. Your checkmate is overruled. Failure to aknowledge that will result in a headbutt to the face delivered by Will.
No life form other than humans can participate in this game.

And since you're not a person, you have no human rights either, so nothing obligates me to acknowledge a monkey and argue with it on an even level. *cacklecackleCacklecackleCackle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Bern seems to think he's capable of being an accomplice. Why would she think that? Just for the shits of it?

Besides, we don't know that's actually OOC for Battler. Oh, sure, it's out of character for the Battler character we're familiar with, but that doesn't mean anything. He's a character, just like Kanon. His personality is a fictional construct. It may be based on real information, but we don't have enough of that real information ourselves to guess how accurate the portrayal actually was.
I don't think Ryukishi would think of his characters and then portray them in a different way in the forgeries just for the hell of it. Technically speaking, it may be unrealistic, but then again Umineko never was realistic to begin with.

And after all, the message bottle universe was the only one we ever got to read in the first place, and I think we have a pretty clear image of the Battler in that.

Quote:
How can we really know Black Battler isn't a closer portrayal of Battler-Prime than Message Bottle Battler? We know almost nothing about Battler-Prime to say.
We can't. But common sense says we do know. Black Battler doesn't even act like a real person, rather, he himself acts like the theoritical being he is.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote