View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 21:57   Link #11812
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
If you really think that, then my compliments and respect to you.
Thanks.

Quote:
Well, I wish the spontaneous Medaka hate would end but people have freedom
They most certainly do.

Quote:
Except she was affected by it, as we clearly see her thinking about her loss to Zenkichi. The reason she wasn't more affected was that she's already been over this. The difference now is thst she's grown enough to start to think of hsving an opinion on the matter.
I don't understand what you mean.

How has "She been over this?" Hato's basically telling her to stop being a Sue and start being human.

Spoiler:

...and she responds by going even more Mary Sue.

And even worse, the worst part of her persona, her abject self-sacrificing love for all people, is still there by her own admittance. Not saying one cannot like that, but it's not a characteristic everyone is attracted to due to the Sueness of it.

Quote:
And here I was thinking she was there to illustrate just how Medaka changed and how she stayed the same.
That's what I said.

The character's just there to elevate Medaka, to talk to Medaka and to have Medaka win some kind of argument(that I still don't care about to this day). It has no purpose of it's own.

I really hate when writers create characters like that, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis
Isn't this a variant of the Shounen trope, "I believe in my own principles"?
It might be? Then again, It may just be because Hato's principle's are much more understandable and relatable. Medaka dosen't really have much formed at all right now other than loving all her friends and life alot. Which is so booooring.

I mean, compare this to Zenkichi. A character I enjoy.

He actually agrees and understands what the Professor was talking about when he was babbling about Synthetic shit(or maybe I could just see the Prof's thinking, eh, sue me!).
And he's not stopping the Proff because he disagrees with him, but because he wants to be with his friend, who the professor wants.

Feels more human and relatable to me. Just an example.

Quote:
I think Medaka is simply telling Hato that she's not being benevolent as an end, but as a means of becoming human. Nor is Benevolence in itself her pursuit, but rather, a purpose.
I literally don't get what you mean. Sorry, it's probably me.

Quote:
In a more whiny adolescent way, it's a more coherent and polite way of telling her mother " you don't understand (why I chose this course of action)"
Somewhat, yes.

The problem is; neither does the reader! Because we can't really relate to Medaka emotionally, we can't be invested in her decision, or understand it.

Granted, that's just the group who dislikes her character.

Quote:
I suspect that such a thing will push Medaka Box into Seinen territory. I always think that the Medaka Box Universe could easily be used to criticize and comment on Seinen tropes in the same Meta fashion that Medaka Box does for Shounen.
Good.

Let's put some excitement back in this manga, eh Nishio!

Quote:
Personally, I don't think Nisio has a clue how this is going to work, since the fates of the world and indeed it's characters are in the hands of the author. If the author has planned out future arcs, surely then, from a Meta perspective, Medaka Box is not a Fate Free world.
Well, it's fate free in the context inside the story. I don't think there's any other way.

Realistically, Nishio wouldn't risk writting on instinct, I suppose?

Maybe?

Quote:
Infact, the only way to write a Fate Free world from a Meta perspective is basically to refrain from planning ahead, but rather, writing spontaneously. Perhaps that's why Nisio's Post 140 chapters are so weak? Nisio might literally be writing them on the fly, while the previous arcs might have had more thought and planning put into them.
Hmm.

Well, I think it's an interesting analysis, if anything.

Thinking about it, it does make sense. If Nishio really gave-up all planning, it makes sense that the manga seems to be going back to the unplanned, regular shounen stuff, and why Medaka still feels the same. If the dude is just writting on instinct.

It's a fitting theory, but I doubt it's true.

Quote:
Ironically, Devil Style makes both Downer and Happy Endings equally possible, but I wonder whether Medaka's Box ending will criticize both poles of the spectrum, and even the Bittersweet ending, somehow.
I doubt it, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus
'm very disappointed that Medaka meeting her mother (the one that died right when Medaka was born) did not seem to impact her all that much. "Mother? ...Okay, just checking" and then right on her way as if none of this meeting or what her mom said mattered. Maybe it doesn't, I don't know.
Wow. You think surprisingly like me. Thanks for saying something I was tryin to say.

You know, in a way, I wanted to have a Medaka Box arc where Zenkichi met his father like this. He's never even been mentioned, I'd have liked to have seen him someday.