View Single Post
Old 2008-01-04, 17:24   Link #84
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist2123 View Post
From what i see the woman spins clockwise while the shadows spins on the other direction causing the illusion. This is just a simple theory of mine but I might be wrong.
Yes, your theory is wrong I don't mean that it isn't what you can see (or what your brain perceives to see) but the figure isn't "rotating" in the first place.
Quote:
Edit: Sorry I am incorrect here. The shadow of the foot may well be part of the illusion since it only really "works" as a shadow if the so called rotation of the figure is anti-clockwise
Please remember that this is a 2D image, your brain is interpreting it into a 3D solid. The brain is creating the illusion that the figure is "solid" and that the figure and / or the shadow is rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise.

There is a good reason why the figure is in black. The illusion doesn't work if this was a real figure or if it was If we could see the actual surface of the figure.

No one has seemed to have noticed that depending on which "direction" the figure moves, the outstretched leg is different. If you see the figure rotating clockwise then the right leg is outstretched while if the figure is rotating anti-clockwise then it is the left leg that is outstretched.

Last edited by xris; 2008-01-04 at 17:28. Reason: Added quote
xris is offline   Reply With Quote