View Single Post
Old 2012-11-30, 11:56   Link #41
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
For all the discussion that goes on about the good/bad/morality of this social system, I've always thought it was pretty clear the show's intentions are strongly tilted to one perspective.
Agreed. I argued precisely this a long time ago. It's fine for us to debate the good/bad/morality of this social system, but I think it's very clear that Gen himself is presenting it in a decidedly negative light. It's not entirely bad, of course, because then it would be unrealistic. But I think it's clear that, on the whole, the narrative is coming down against this social system, and I think you'll see more of that in the episodes to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
It's not so much that all art has been banned, otherwise there wouldn't be an art class in that school (and we've seen Masaoka painting in a previous episode). I think that art is subjected to strong censorship and all pieces that are deemed dangerous for the psychological health of the public are banned.
Agreed. But that's almost as bad, in my mind, since art is rather subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I guess my main issue with the series is with all the crime still happening I am hard pressed to see how this system made life better in anyway and I don't even need Makishima's poetry to tell me this (as much as I do love to hear Sakurai quote Shakespeare)
Well, my impression is that this police force is...

1) Rather small. It seems to only have two detectives, six or so Enforcers, and a small support staff.

2) In charge of handling crime for an entire large, metropolitan area.

It's not surprising that this team is busy, because they're not that large and they're handling an entire city. The fact that this team is apparently sufficient to handle an entire city says that crime probably isn't all that common, in all likelihood. The crime rate has probably gone done, on the whole.