View Single Post
Old 2013-04-27, 07:18   Link #164
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
So I assume you will demand that Stark be a weakling for all future films? Even though you just saw what he could do in IM3? I look forward to you complaining about the same thing all over again in Avengers 2.

Do realise that they aren't going to dedicate any time in the film for training montages. This isn't Rocky. They give hints that he learned some martial arts, and that's it. But they aren't going to focus on it because it is a waste of screen time. This is not a TV series, they would dedicate what part of the film be spent on what.

Tony is now a reasonably competent fighter. You can accept that or not, but that won't change the official events.
No, I just ask that a film be consistent with a character based on the internal logic that film franchise has established, instead of pulling something out of their ass and saying a character has a trait that is all too convenient in order to progress through the story. It works against what has already been established for the character. I don't think asking for that kind of consistency within the story is asking too much as a viewer.

Stark doesn't have to know martial arts in order not to be a weakling. He's a genius and has built powerful suits of armor. How does that make him weak? Did you really think he was weak before he was doing his Jackie Chan stunts?

And saying that it isn't necessary to dedicate any screen time to something important to the story is just an excuse for lazy writing. Please. By that logic you can make up whatever element within any story and not have to have any exposition at all because it isn't convenient to your time constraints. A montage wasn't even necessary, but they could do better than a glimpse of a wooden fighting stand. That could mean anything. They could have had some throwaway lines. That would have been better than what was offered, which was speculative at best. And reasonably competent fighter is different from being a Harlem Globetrotter martial artist. Dude was dodging bullets and bouncing off walls practically.

The only thing I've accepted is that it's a major plot hole. Because that was what was provided. Unfortunately you'll just have to deal with that reality.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote