View Single Post
Old 2012-04-26, 21:55   Link #644
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Another thing about this novel is due to the way the lines are structured compared to other series. The author has a tendency to make relatively long sentences with the most important clause, the subject clause or the topic clause, at the back. In other words, one needs a large brain buffer to store the supporting clauses before one gets the key point of the sentence. I'm not sure about the other translated chapters, but for v1 chapter 1, I've pretty much rephrased and rearranged the clauses and content the way it's done in English, so you guys may not feel it at all. In English, because the key actors are at the front, and the key action verbs also appear rather early, somehow, it seems like we don't need to keep them in our brain's RAM, while in Japanese, it seems like we need to hold all the supporting clauses in our mind until we reach that key idea. And this series really go to the extreme in doing it. It's thus pretty much impossible for me to speed-read without getting lost on what's happening. Or maybe I just suck.
you arent suck, the key to speed-read is to read only the key words and understand the general sentences in jpnese but the author here, as you said, tend to use long sentences and support clause which let the key words come in later, i dont know how japanese feel about it but i sometimes have to re-read a sentences 2-3 times to understand what he mean.
In Kamachi-sensei work, the hard point is the terminology which extremely hard to figure out but Kamachi-sensei use relatively simple sentences, if you have a good reference and katakana level, Kamachi-sensei is actually quite pleased to read.