View Single Post
Old 2012-05-14, 17:44   Link #5
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I don't read a lot of manga, and Monster is the only one of those that I have read that Viz licensed so I can't really speak to how Viz localizes their manga(although they deserve a lot of crap for making Shounen Jump Alpha only available to North America and excluding the UK and continental Europe). Since Monster is set in Europe, the character names except for Dr. Tenma are European ones.

Yen Press tends to localize their manga pretty well, although they sometimes do prefer to use literal translations like "Azu-meow" instead of "Azu-nyan" in the K-ON! manga and they use "Pop Music Club"(which isn't an incorrect translation, btw) instead of "Light Music Club" for the kei-ongaku-bu. Yen Press also tends to retain honorifics in their manga.

I also haven't found any particular localization issues with Seven Seas with the Toradora manga and the A Certain Scientific Railgun manga so it could be that either I am not exposed to how Viz handles localization(and I have heard that the now-defunct Tokyopop also was bad in their localizations) or it is not a major issue with most of the official English translated manga these days.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote