View Single Post
Old 2010-11-18, 08:50   Link #45
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Excellent episode. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 9/10

This was a very slick and well-done production. I believe somebody else mentioned one of the pieces of background music, and I agree that the background music in this episode really made everything feel epic, with a considerable gravitas. The anime did a good job of properly conveying the scale of the events of this episode.

This was more than one girl's heart or one lost soul on the line (which is important in and of itself, of course); this was a major concert, with thousands standing to be very disappointed (and a few standing to possibly lose their jobs) if Keima doesn't save the day. Thankfully, he did.

I'm surprised that this episode isn't more well-received. I can understand initial dislike at Kanon's character, but her backstory and psyche is so well-developed and fleshed out, I'm surprised that more people weren't eventually won over by her.

Also, it's nice to see Keima's more tender side come out. I also think that helps to show that there's a tragic and very sympathetic element to his character, one which might be of later importance thematically. He goes through the process of helping all these different girls, and basically entering into short romances with them, and yet he has to say goodbye to all of them. I don't care how cold or cool a person is; that has to start wearing away at you emotionally, over time.