View Single Post
Old 2006-10-27, 14:01   Link #566
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Send a message via ICQ to Shilar Send a message via AIM to Shilar Send a message via MSN to Shilar Send a message via Yahoo to Shilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
@Shilar
Your problem is simple. The oneclick re-encoding solutions don't work for you. Go yell at the people who make these applications for the newbie masses and ask them to add more support for Matroska.

Otherwise someone with just a small bit of experience using things like AviSynth could easily re-encode just about any Matroska file.

Ignorance on your part is not a reason to switch containers.
They don't work cause the MKV containers change formats more often then I change shirts. I've tried the "geek" solutions (which a lot of the programs just plain crash), and tried the one-clicks (support the original MKV, not the off-shoots that each fansub group is making, nor embedding Aegis subs). Even tried hard-subbing the Aegis file (same result as the "geek" solutions). MP4? No problem, easily do it, even in QuickTime!

The reason behind this is simple: Most fansub anime cons (AnimeFest is a good example) rely on a simple premise that if they can make a DVD or Divx/Xvid out of the files they get, they show them. One thing I've not seen there is anything put in MKV, thereby never gets shown to anyone. That leaves a smaller group that "mistakes" upon it. Basically, why support a container that has a hard time being converted by all but the ones who love the "high quality?" (As I said, Divx/Xvid is really good if you do it right). I just ask that people be wary of MKV, lest they solidify a format around the container.
Shilar is offline   Reply With Quote