Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 13:57   Link #3256
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui04 View Post
With 32 characters for the whole Oarai team in a 1 cour anime, it was obvious that most wouldn't get enough development, if not at all. Let's take examples of other shows where characters are mixed with technical stuff, for example Mecha anime. Do every secondary or minor character get any chance to develop, a lot just are merely there to move the plot forward.
That was my concern before the show aired; that the only way for them to have a team of multiple tanks, was to need a ridiculously large cast for such a short anime series.

Initially I thought that the show would be like Upotte, with the girls BEING tanks, or like Strike Witches, with one girl getting a tank each and controlling them via magic. The idea being then you would still have a manageable number of characters. This of course would throw any realism out of the window. We could forget about any real discussions on the capability of these tanks in any relate-able scenarios.

This would also mean the tanks would be nothing more than window dressing. As without a realistic tank crew, most of the portrayal of tank combat is gone.

Alternatively I thought they would focus on only ONE tank. That of the main girls crewing the vehicle and no one else. This means team battles are impossible. And of course early on I realised that wasn't the direction they were going.

What they ended up doing was a surprise; mostly fully crewed tanks, with most girls getting voices. They had to sacrifice character screen time to fit everyone in, and it was probably the hardest path to take. But it really was the only way to go to ensure minimum magic and maximum tank team combat. This also means they had to cut corners on everyone who isn't a tank crew member; they can't afford too many side characters. Voice actresses had to get paid.