View Single Post
Old 2011-06-12, 22:06   Link #20
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisiel View Post
Well, she didn't just elope, she eloped with her debt ridden boyfriend and dumped her daughter on her mother, then she returned on yet another whim seemingly without ever having intended to marry the guy. So to the bosses, they might think her flaky and be a bit miffed.
I wish not to expound this any further since I have said it twice already, so I will not return to this after this post.

Has there been any cases that you know of where people are fired for not marrying a man whom they wanted to be marrying to in the first place? In the 21st century, I find that anyone can be fired for this to be shocking and frankly, intrusion upon women's privacy that should lead to a discrimination lawsuit.

How I raise my kids and how I deal with my romantic partner says nothing about how I can perform my job. I am genuinely curious now: who here has heard that people have been fired because they eloped with a guy but didn't end up marrying him? Any boss who would consider doing this should be hit with a lawsuit.

I must say that any boss who would use such an excuse in the Western world (maybe Japan is okay with this - I don't know) would and should be hit with a lawsuit immediately. Not only are you firing a woman for a ridiculous reason, you are also announcing her private romantic life to others? Doesn't this show what kind of a douch3b@g company it is? How could any company come out unscathed for doing this?

=========================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
My point is that the "professional reviewer" or "critic" profession is one in which sincerity of critiques is valued, and seen as a sign of professionalism.
No. If you are a professional in a certain field, it means you are getting paid. It does not mean you are being valued.

Many employees are fired at whim and they are not being valued in the modern world. They are hired to do what the bosses tell them to do. But they are professionals nonetheless.

Unless we can stick to the actual definition for the word "professional," I see little point in furthering this conversation.

Quote:
Even if so, those job titles are still suggestive. The job title "critic" carries with it the implicit understanding of "honest opinion".
I have checked both dictionary.com and Oxford American Dictionary Online. Where can I find the phrase "honest opinion" under "critic?"

So far, you have attributed your ideals when trying to define "professional," "professionalism," and "critic." Admirable, I admit. The world would be a better place if all professionals must follow a certain creed or live up to certain standards. However, whether your ideals ought to be incorporated is, however, separate from the current discussion.

Quote:
Yes, and professionals tend to try to avoid disreputable employers, precisely because they value the integrity of their profession.
So the engineers and CPAs who worked at Enron, BP, and Arther Andersen were not professionals then? And any engineers who try to join BP right now would, according to you, not be a professional?

Quote:
This is a complex topic, of course, which could derail this thread if we delve too far into it.
No need to delve into it. Give me one or two actual research papers published in peer-reviewed research journals that said "being cold" is a "parental failure."

I just need the references (since I have access to all published research by academics). No summary necessary. Thanks.

Last edited by ipodi; 2011-06-12 at 22:20.