View Single Post
Old 2007-06-18, 18:35   Link #208
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Moskovitz View Post
Koizumi: Possibly a homosexual? =p He probably comes closest to being "original" out of the whole bunch.
I'd actually peg him as the Smiling Smooth Know-It-All, which I first encountered (although I'm sure there's a prior example) in Slayers NEXT with Xelloss.

That said, he obviously is not a Xelloss clone (for one, Xelloss is a lot more goofy in funny moments, and scheming in serious moments), but I'd say the same for all the characters: we've seen their broad strokes elsewhere before, but each of the characters have their own unique quirks that make them memorable.

Yes, even Yuki Nagato. While she may be akin to Rei Ayanami in a great many ways, I'd consider her shading a bit towards R. Dorothy Wainwright in The Big O. She's unfeeling, while Rei is more uncaring.

Oddly enough, I can't really come up with many examples of the Cynical Sarcasm which is Kyon's archetype in anime (this is more due to inexperience than lack), but I can think of several examples offhand in Western TV (Blackadder comes immediately to mind).