Thread: Boy on Boy Love
View Single Post
Old 2007-03-01, 00:51   Link #8
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialzero View Post
Oh, then there's La Esperanca, a fairly new series, volume four just came out not too long ago. It's about catholic high school boys, in Spain I believe, and it's really good, IMO. The book size is larger than standard manga, and comes in a wrap-around cover... I forget who the artist is off the top of my head though.
Hopefully it's okay to revive a kinda dead thread... La Esperanca is also one of my top favs - recommended if you don't mind a bit of angst and languid BL development (only a couple of kisses over the 5 vols released thus far!). The author is Chigusa Kawai, practically unknown in the manga scene. Maybe. At least, I don't know of any other work by her. Anyway, it's a worthy read if you're after character development, boarding school comedy and, well, some angst and drama. My two gripes with the series: some scenes are portrayed a bit *too* dramatically and, artwise, the people's proportions look kinda off in the beginning but the very pointy chins have subsided over the years and (I notice) are almost completely gone by vol 5.

If you do decide to try this title, make sure to check under the jackets for a bit of fun crack . I don't have download links, but there are sample pages in the publisher's website.

P.S. serialzero, I think the story's set in a fictional country. I don't know the name, but it's mentioned that the characters speak "Esperanto", original Japanese text aside. There's even Esperanto for "I love/like you" which is a neat touch by the author.