View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 16:20   Link #164
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It's easy to forget this, but KYH is one of those "Student Celebrities" that you see so much of in anime. And I find in anime that a surefire way to win over a "Student Celebrity" is by being totally non-pretentious and basically not acting like an insane fanboy/fangirl around them (and honestly, this makes some sense to me - real life celebrities often grow tried of people swooning crazily over them, and tend to really appreciate the company of everyday people that treat them as another human being). So much of what caused Haru to win over KYH was his complete sincerity with her, and him treating her with genuine caring and respect (rather than overbearing fanboying).
Generally I agree with what you said, but I guess I just want to add a small precision to this point.

Haruyuki does idolize Kuroyukihime, but his self-esteem issues cause him to think he's not worthy of standing on her level. He basically does see her as a goddess, and himself as a lowly unworthy pawn. I think she actually *wants* him to see her more as a normal girl, and less as a highly goddess that he can't reach (as hinted by both her words and actions). At the same time, I sort of understand what you mean by "not acting like an insane fanboy" -- he's just got so little ego and so little selfish ambition that he's completely sincere with her. He's someone she can trust absolutely when it seems like everyone's got an angle and is potentially out to get her for one reason or another. He's totally sincere, totally kind-hearted, and totally loyal. Plus, he's got "mad skillz", and that's pretty important to someone who could basically be called a hardcore gamer by most accounts.

I am supposing she might see him as someone who will understand her. I think we forget that, despite public appearances, Kuroyukihime isn't really that sociable a girl. She doesn't really have all that many friends, because so much of her life was previously wrapped up in her "second life". So if she's going to fall in love with anyone, it makes sense that it'd be someone who can stand along side her in that world -- the world where she can arguably be her "real self".