View Single Post
Old 2011-12-11, 14:02   Link #53
Nixl

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
You can play SWTOR as if you were playing KOTOR; completely alone, and just for the story, if you so wish. Minimize the chat tab and make sure you have no friendly/enemy player nameplates on, and you wouldn't even realize you weren't playing a single player RPG.
After playing the beta for a little bit, I disagree creb. Throughout my playthrough I never once felt like I was playing Kotor or an RPG, just a themepark MMO like WoW. I saw it as an MMO with a lot of cutscenes and romances, but none of it changed the fact that I never found the story compelling. Furthermore, in the end it was just going to end with raiding each week for the next set of gear. Compared to Kotor 2, Kotor 1, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1/2, New Vegas, Morrowind, etc I felt nothing from TOR.

TOR may have more cutscenes than other MMOs, but it does not make inherently a strong RPG, especially in terms of writing. Bioware has done RPG before and so I do not see why TOR seems weaker than Kotor 1. Simply put, I just do not see how this is meant to be a better option than Kotor 3. I hope my post does not sound offensive or fatalistic, because I would love to debate about TOR's RPG elements, but perhaps a C&C thread is not the best place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post

That's a pre-existing contract between pre-EA Bioware and LucasArts. While it'll be a huge moneymaker for EA, they had nothing to do with its inception.
That is good to know and thank you for telling me, yet I still think Bioware is strangely coming to mirror Blizzard.
Nixl is offline   Reply With Quote