Thread: Crunchyroll White Album (All Episodes, 1-26)
View Single Post
Old 2009-01-19, 14:43   Link #307
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Vocal performances also seem to be closely related to the show's direction. I don't exactly have any experience here, but my assumption after watching shows like Darker than Black is that some directors just squeeze that extra bit of talent out of the actors. Someone's doing a good job handling them for White Album, while even an experienced pro like Nakahara Mai sounds hopelessly flimsy in this season's Chrome Shelled Regios. Maybe I'm overestimating the director's influence, though.
No, if anything, I was going to say that people shouldn't under-estimate this aspect. It's not as if these voice actors really have much say in the sorts of voices you hear beyond what they're basically capable of. It's all determined by the voice directors for the show. So the voice director says "I want you to try something higher-pitched", or whatever, and after hearing the VA try it, they decide if it's what they want for the character or not. Likewise with the music the VAs sing, or whatever -- typically it's all assigned to them, and it's like "sing this". They really don't have very much control over "their sound" beyond just what they're capable of doing naturally. So when people say they like or didn't like when Aya tried to do this or that, it's probably more accurate to say "when she was told to do this or that". I highly doubt the producers and directors asked for her opinion.

Basically, it's up to the directors to take the raw talent they have at their disposal and make something of it. But I suppose this can sometimes be more challenging than others, as they have varying degrees of say into which actors get assigned to the project in the first place. All the key cast need to be vetted by the production committee, and that brings a lot of commercial interest into the equation. But, regardless, the VAs themselves generally have the least say of all in the whole process, especially when we're talking about "managed talent". Of course, this show itself gives us some insight into that, in a way.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote