View Single Post
Old 2009-02-16, 16:28   Link #27
cynicalicious
I like pie.

I pretty much agree with 4Tran on this. While Yumi is my favorite character, she's clueless and impulsive, and sometimes doesn't think past herself. In this case, she did just about everything she could to send the message to Touko that "You're an afterthought," even though she cares about Touko a great deal.

For starters, inviting Kanako along with Touko was a real blow to Touko's ego, I'd wager. I haven't gotten that far in the book yet, so I can't say for sure, but were I Touko, I'd be kind of irritated. (If you care about me so much, why are you inviting her too? Am I just goldfish droppings?)

Going into "Sachiko mode" at the party wasn't much help either. And I while I know it's important to be polite to Kanako, Yumi needed to focus on Touko at the party if she really wanted to make her her soeur.

Yumi made a number of mistakes in dealing with Touko that hurt her feelings, so it was natural that she'd get rebuffed. Yumi forgot her own obeservation-- she [Touko] is very delicate. Touko is easily hurt, and quick to take offense. Yumi is good-natured, but clumsy as hell sometimes.

I felt bad for Yumi, but, well, that was hole she dug for herself. I can't really blame Touko for saying no. Yumi's got a lot of work ahead of her.

Either way, great episode. If it all was rainbows and sunshine, it wouldn't be worth watching. The great thing about the series (books and anime) is how the characters develop.

Good times.