View Single Post
Old 2009-12-23, 22:35   Link #2236
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I disagree with this one, one of the strengths of Fried was that you just weren't sure whether or not he was a good guy or a bad guy, giving him that background before his fight with Mira would have bled the tension of Elfman nearly getting killed.
Disagree
As far as i saw Fried was solidly a bad guy, there was incredibly little question of it to the point where his flashback and breakdown felt like a real asspull... The ONLY indication we got was that he was hesitant to jump into killing, something he very quickly got over. Considering what he was willing to do, how badly he was willing to maim them and how everyone of his comrades were just as cruel, such hesitation is a far cry from "i actually do care about my fellow guildmates and never wanted to hurt them"

I think the proper balance would have been a few moments where the fairy tail members try to get close to him, where he then disregards them and gives them the cold shoulder... While it makes him look like a prick, it at the same time gives the slightest hint that he's not all bad as the other members do not seem to regard him with the same hostility that they give Luxus; where as what we got was the master practically shitting himself when he heard the 3 of them returned to the guild

Quote:
Hmm, I'd say stick to throwing him in the Phantom arc. There is no reason to re-write an entire character out of an arc when we already have a perfectly viable alternative. Plus, it saves the headache of finding a suitable alternative for Erza's introduction. Waiting until Demon Island would create a couple of plotholes that require filling.
When it comes down to it, Ezra's overall roll in Lullaby, and the effects that arc had in the story in the long run were minimal at best... it would have been easy to write her out

And frankly, i think the moondrip arc, with Ezra showing up to drag Natsu/grey/happy/Lucy back to the guild, would have worked fine as an intro for her

And i don't see plot holes it would create to just wait for the moondrip... only thing that happened that required ezra was her one day imprisonment by the council; and the only reason that had even the slightest significance was to establish that she knew sieg... but there are probably a hundred different ways mashima could have shown us that... hell thinking about it, that meeting in and of itself was a bit of a plot. I mean, Ezra called Sieg "evil"... however we later found out that she was aware and excepted that sieg was infact NOT gerald, and that he was his brother... if she understood that, then why did she call him "evil"? sounds to mean like mashima actually changed his mind with how he was gonna use seig/gerald mid way, and that meeting represents a small plot hole
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote