View Single Post
Old 2010-11-18, 07:43   Link #200
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I must say, that is a pretty funny post

I just hope that you weren't serious, especially considering the fact that this show is mainly a comedy and that scene was obviously played for laughs. Anyone taking it seriously is simply looking for ways to hate Kirino more than they already do.
I think that you dismiss Itlandm's point too easily.

The "get hit by a car" scene never felt comedic to me (aside from Kyousuke's explosive reaction to it, of course). If Kirino was just joking around, you'd expect her to start laughing once Kyousuke made his explosive reaction. I mean, that's typically how jokes like this work - You say something so outrageous that it can't possibly be serious, but because of your deadpan delivery another person takes it serious and responds with outrage, and then you both have a chuckle over how you managed to get him or her to buy what you said.

But when Kyousuke balked at Kirino's "get hit by a car" request, she didn't laugh. She didn't even seem amused. Actually, she seemed irritated. It vividly reminded me of Haruhi getting irritated when some of her directing commands during the making of the Mikuru movie where not met to Haruhi's satisfaction. And Haruhi's irritation there was very much real, so I can't help but feel that maybe Kirino's irritation is for real as well.

Episode 7 suggests to me that maybe Kirino is having difficulties telling reality apart from fantasy or fiction. The fact that she's trying to get closer to her brother by re-enacting key eroge scenes shows that maybe this is the case. And there's no comedy in her dumping a bucket of water unto herself during a cold wintery day. Even the background music for this scene makes it clear that we're meant to take this seriously.

And with all of this in mind, I'm not entirely sure what to make of the "get hit by a car" scene myself. Now, maybe it's just bad execution on the anime's part (if they wanted the scene to be taken as a joke on Kirino's part, they probably should have shown her at least crack a grin after Kyousuke took her command seriously). But given how the scene plays out in the anime, it feels a bit weird to me.

I don't think that Kirino really, truly wants her brother to get killed in a car accident.

But then, she is perhaps a bit emotionally disturbed, and maybe that's what the audience is meant to take away from the "get hit by a car" scene.