View Single Post
Old 2011-04-03, 18:09   Link #214
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Have you ever encountered something extremely simple, but you know deep down that it's high quality and absolutely fantastic?

That's how I feel about Hanasaku Iroha (or Hanairo).

It's nice to see that Ohana isn't a shy, doormat type of girl. She seems to be level-headed, responsible, and is optimistic (but not overly so to the point that she becomes annoying or is heavily disillusioned -- she has what I would call "true realistic optimism"). Probably one of few characters I've seen in an anime series in a LONG while that has such a real-life average attitude about things.

My first impression of Minko was that she is the stereotypical "tough on the outside, soft on the outside" type. But that quickly changed after her last two appearances. She may have a deeper issue of some sort that makes her act that way. She pisses me off... in a good way. I can see a LOT of character development coming her way. Nako doesn't interest me as much, but I like how she's like Ohana in the sense that she isn't that typical "easy to walk all over them" shy girl, either (albeit being soft-spoken).

Grandmother is kind of awesome in an angering way. I like her. I wonder if she's hoping that Ohana will bring into her life what her own daughter couldn't?

I know it's just the first episode, but I went in not expecting much and ended up getting impressed. I will definitely stick with this one. I can't wait to see Ohana win everyone over. If the plot can avoid being predictable or boring, then it'll be quite a treat.

Oh, and this show as a whole is giving me strong Spirited Away vibes. Not the plot, but there are a lot of lesser elements they share (bath house/inn setting, angry old boss woman, the whole "newcomer helps improve the employees' lives" and "young lead (possibly) eventually learning the importance of hard work" themes).