Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 06:48   Link #1499
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I think the problem is that there's been a misunderstanding between the two. Inaba does want to help Yui, but she's afraid of hurting her and her friends. But instead of accepting this, she turns to an interpretation of herself that she's most familiar with and paints herself as this selfish person who doesn't want to get involved. She thinks her reason for not helping Yui is because she doesn't care, when in reality it's just the opposite. Taichi simply works with what Inaba gives him.
I agree that the idea of subverting Taichi's white knight persona is a much more interesting one since it makes the generic "good guy" harem lead more bearable and less Gary Stuish. I like what they're trying to do with his character, but the way the series is written, it's making it seem like being a helpful human being is somehow deranged.
I confess that I might have let my dislike of his character influence my interpretation, but he's simply a character I can't ever come to terms with. So far, it helps that Tachi's "selflessness" is portrayed as something pathological, but with just that to go on, his character is still impossible for me to empathize with. We're going to need much more substance to it if he is to be seen as a human character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I said before that this "true desire" thing seems to be a mixture of general and situational feelings. The way I see it, just because someone says how they feel doesn't mean these feelings are identical when they go through all the mental filters and rational thinking. People don't think straight when they get overly emotional, they let one emotion take control of them. I'd say in such cases an emotional outburst is only a part of how a person truly feels and it doesn't necessarily hold true in its entirety.
Obviously, it only represents a part of the person's actual feelings, but why should that have to mean that such things can just be dismissed?

Emotion is as much a part of the self as reason. Everyday social behavior is the result of the interplay between those two elements. However, one's emotions tend to be less apparent as they are usually suppressed to a certain extent by regulatory mechanisms controlled by reason. In that sense, it could be said that our cognitive faculties serve to obscure certain aspects of the self, particularly the less desirable ones. It's just that people tend to focus solely on reason as representative of the self.