View Single Post
Old 2010-07-06, 04:58   Link #13
Eak
One angry cloud.

Just finished this series literally minutes ago and I won't go into too much detail but will elaborate if necessary :P

Gotta say I agree with it being average to below than average. The highlight of the entire series was without a doubt the telling of each character's previous life. It was incredibly powerful and this series shined in that respect (I'll admit Otonashi's story had me choked up and yuri's was just cruel).

The pacing was really, really bad. The last episode was rushed and stupid, trivial parts were given too much time.

Characters were as cliche as it gets.. Their only moment of substance was their previous life stories (The delivery of the final graduation was for some reason excrutiantly long).

This series was powerful in the themes of cruelity, life/afterlife and questioning God but fell flat in all other categories. In summary, Angel Beats tried to do everything and fell flat in the majority.

Had potential to to become a really dark, thought-provoking story.
Overall rating 5/10

PS I am going to side with a lot of people in regards to almost blatant plagiarism. Not all, but you can't have a lead character emulate something that's a cultural phenomenon and think you can get away with it.

Last edited by Eak; 2010-07-06 at 05:18.