View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 18:30   Link #270
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
But let me point out a falsehood here. The top 1% of taxpayers took home an average of $370,000 AGI in 2010, per IRS records. The top 1% consist of 1.4 million people (who filed tax returns that year).

1.4 million people x $370,000 = $518 trillion
1% of USA population is 3 million but even then it is just $1.11 trillion. But not all people on the census pay taxes so I will trust your numbers more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Like I said, stay classy.

Last time I checked I (and for that matter, the vast, vast majority of people in American, and frankly the world) don't have a socket on my car to plug in, and I didn't see a $40,000 check from you for me to buy one, so no, it's very much a necessity. To claim otherwise would be delusional.

Walk? bike? how would you like to bike 20 miles each way to work in michigan winter while trying to navigate the snow covered ground which may or may not have a sidewalk for you to bike on? I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the idea of sharing the main roads with cars in the middle of winter, what could possibly go wrong.

Public transportation? who's gonna pay for it? when states, cities and municipalities are forced to cut down police and fire departments due to budget shortfalls, they're somehow going to come up with the money to pay for an expansive public transportation network large and robust enough to cover the third largest country in the world, where more than half of the population lives out in the suburbs?

Geothermal, tidal, and hydro are all very good, but also extremely location-dependent with a specific limit on capacity, and quite often their own set of environmental issues to face. Each type of energy production have their own advantage and disadvantages, but for now only fossil and nuclear have the capability of carrying the bulk of the weight of humanity's energy requirement.

No, not unless you figured out a way to achieve teleportation. People can't just decide to use less gas to go to work, no matter how much they may want to, that little thing in their car called an engine doesn't really gives two shits.

First I'd tell you to look over your number again, and ask yourself if anything looks odd.

Because you just claimed that 1.4 million people in the United State had a combined income of $518 TRILLION. Which is certainly odd, considering the GDI of the entire US economy in 2010 is only around the mid $14 trillions. As GDI includes "the sum of all wages, profits, and taxes, minus subsidies", I really don't see how your number can be remotely correct.

Here's a fun fact, your 1.4million people apparently earned more money in 2010 than the total economic activity and output of the ENTIRE WORLD($74.4 trillion) by SEVEN TIMES.

These data are freely available from the US Bureau of Economic Analysis.
He meant $518 billion. Zeros accident, it happens to all of us.

And now we see that taxing the top 1% at 100% will most definitely not get rid of the debt. Which means there are other things we need to look into as well if we want to lower the deficit or debt (though an even more progressive tax would not hurt).

I would only prefer an even more progressive tax on the people who like to evade taxes by getting a bunch of writeoffs.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-23 at 18:45.