View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 09:44   Link #3687
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
No, it's the other way round. The German game is pre-geared against Spain - see the possession play, and the controlled risk-averse setup. This system will take the edge off against weaker teams (leading to fewer goals compared to the counterplay routs in 2008/2010), but the idea is that "it should still be good enough". As it turned out to be. 9 points in this group is quite an achievement.

Whether or not it's going to be sufficient remains to be seen. We also have options to go for a more offensive setup (Reus, Schürrle), but it was felt to be unnecessary so far. I am convinced however that any game against Spain/Italy/France would be very very close. "Losing hard" is what will not happen. No way.
Losing hard will definately not happen. However, against Spain, I currently can't see a way for Germany to win. Our players seem to become more and more susceptible to errors, the longer the game goes on, with really just the first 25 minutes playing on a level that could rival Spain's. It's going to be hard against teams like Italy, France, Croatia and England, hard but possible. Spain however, is on a whole different level in my opinion. The way they play the ball with next to no room inside the opponents' defensive lines is just unbelievable. A german commentator put it well lately. He said they can play like in a broom closet. Germany has shown to be able to do so as well, with very strong ground play, but again, not nearly as consistantly. Well we'll have to see. Anything's possible I suppose. And then again I know next to nothing about the game anyway, so it could just be a false impression of mine.