View Single Post
Old 2010-12-30, 18:57   Link #1212
flmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyuuA4 View Post
Hmm... I kinda want Jenn Barr's book instead.
I saw that one on Amazon awhile ago when I was browsing through MJ books. This review kind of turned me off of it though, although I might check it out in the future just to see what it contains anyway.

From Amazon review:

Now, this book does explain the rules rather well, and has the most basic of strategy sections, but (even excluding the printing error with a couple examples) is simply too 'basic' to recommend.

It is a Catch-22 of the mahjong world - if you are into mahjong enough to know about the book, you know enough that you don't need the book at all.

The only book in english out there that has the strategy that you can't get off a dozen sites found by a simple 'reach mahjong' search on google is the Whitney "Mahjong Handbook". it's been the standard for decades for a reason.

Also, although it is unfortunate, it gets docked points for the incorrect examples. I know it is merely a printer error, but if you are a beginner, you aren't necessarily going to know that something is wrong, and be thoroughly confused as to what is going on.

All-in-all, I bought it, and didn't learn anything that I couldn't have gotten from the Whitney book. If you are looking for a way to teach your friends, or yourself, without access to the internet or outside input, it's worth it, but those are the only niches it fills.
flmd is offline   Reply With Quote