View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 16:50   Link #99
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigan View Post
so if we will ever consider this only one instance in the final ep as 'unrealistically strong desire' to help others, i think it's justified given the situation and magnitude of emotional intensity she has to bare at that moment. the whole world is at stake. what would a good and well brought up girl going to do?
No no. Her desire to help others even at the cost of her life has always been there, even before knowing about Magical girls, as explained in the drama cd. What she gained in the last episode of the series is the know-how to make the right wish, but her will to make the sacrifice has always been there. And yeas, right after Mami died, she was afraid, but in the next episode, she was once again willing to risk her life for some else (in this case Sayaka).

In the drama cd, when Madoka introduce Amy (the cat) to Homura, she tells Homura: "if something happens to me (aka, if I die) will you take care of Amy for me?". At that point Madoka had been a magical girl for just a week, a WEEK, and she was already talking like that, already willing to make any sacrifice to help others.

So, as you see, her desire to save others is so strong and so deeply rooted into her already (even before knowing about magical girls), that there's no way just having a wonderful family and a good environment would be enough to make her that way.

Look, if you feel it's enough for you, that's ok, but this sort of characterization would get you kicked out of any script writing course. That much I'm pretty sure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigan View Post
and about helping others, don't confuse this of just being a magical girl. madoka's helpful even if she's just herself. and she is also human. she actually felt fear contracting. and her doubts rise as more and more of the magical girl system is revealed.
She's helpful as a human yet she whined all the time that she wasn't helpful at all, from even before knowing about magical girls, as told by the drama cd. That's an inferiority complex right there that was also never given a proper explanation/reason. Totally different case than with Homura, who also had an inferiority complex but was explained by her illness and lack of friends. Madoka had good health, great friends and a wonderful family, so why was she as dissatisfied with herself as Homura was (she even compares the both of them in that respect)?? Her characterization is just weak, no matter how you look at it.