View Single Post
Old 2013-02-14, 19:23   Link #44
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I don't think anyone is surprised by the physical reality of the Sibyl infrastructure. It's also no surprise that the chief(s) is the physical manifestation of this gathering. What is troubling to folks like me who have been preaching the importance of the human element in the enforcement of civil society is that these minds retain not only awareness, but they also appear to retain individual autonomy.

From a philosophical standpoint, Sibyl is exactly the system that I said a society should have: It has human oversight, enhanced by technology which the humans keep on a leash. The only difference is that in the case of Sibyl, the humans who hold authority over it are the last people you want in that position.

The country is ruled by a cabal of those who lack the capacity for empathy. This is a feature, not a bug, because only those who are self-interested enough for us to label them "psychopaths" could effectively run such a rotten system. It's not that Sibyl's creators needed to use such people (as I had theorized), it's that those people were perfect for the job.

To turn attention back to an older theory that hasn't gotten much mention lately, I'd like to point out that given Akane's stress-defying psycho-pass, it is slightly chilling to think that if she had not developed a sense of worth for her fellow man, she might be a node in Sibyl's circuit board right now. In a twisted way, I wonder what putting someone like her in the mix would do to the judgement of the overmind...

Last edited by ThereminVox; 2013-02-14 at 21:44. Reason: grammar