View Single Post
Old 2008-10-11, 06:00   Link #265
Riful
Of The West

A certain magical Index seems to be turning into my favorite show this season. I would have never expected the first episode to be so much to my liking. Just hope JC Staff will keep up the good work, unfortunately I wasn't too found of most of their other novel adaptions so far o.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Geh... Before I knew it, the thread title changed to "To Aru" instead of "Toaru"... Even though "toaru (とある/と或る)" has an actual meaning, and the title means that and not "to (と)" AND "aru (ある)"...
Mmh, I don't really understand what you mean. Personally I prefer the spelling "to aru", for esthetic reasons. For the meaning "to" and "aru" go together as an expression, that's for sure, but grammatically speaking it is still the particle "to" and the verb "aru" (或る). So, I'm not sure what you mean, "the title means that and not to and aru" ^^; Any example of how the meaning could be any different?

Concerning the confusion about Toma's intentions of whom he wanted to save. It is really clear in the anime as well. I don't know the novels yet, but the whole "twist" of the scene was in that part and that already convinced me that this series would be above average.

Like most people, I completely fell for this. It is deliberately left open in the beginning, whom he wants to save - and most viewers will simply conclude that he wants to save the girl. But he only thinks "maaaybe I should help ...." (nothing about being a hero). Then on the bridge when Mikoto, whom the viewers believe to be an ordinary girl says "I cleaned them up already", the viewer is supposed to go "huh?". And then Toma kind of explains it to the viewer as well "yup, you got it, my intention actually wasn't to save her...".
The whole screaming about his misfortune is in fact, because he wanted to save one punk only ... not twenty. He probably wasn't planing to run away - or at least not chased by so many, but could have dealt with only one of them. I loved this scene, poor Toma gets chased by those he tried to save

Can't wait for the second episode ... but I'll probably pick up the novels anyway, won't be able to wait one week between every episode.

Last edited by Riful; 2008-10-11 at 06:11.