View Single Post
Old 2011-08-13, 04:16   Link #83
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
You're not understanding. The game is rigged. The politicians are all corrupt before we even have a chance to vote on them!

Would you keep putting quarters in a rigged slot machine? Knowing full well that it will never land on the jackpot?

You do realize that is one of the definitions of insanity, right? Repeating the same action over and over yet expecting a different result each time.
There is a difference between a rigged vote and a non-existent vote,

I fail to see the need to rig votes when half the population is missing, A politician just needs to please 25% of the population to win, that needs no rigging at all.

And as I say, I doubt you really believe your potential vote is rigged. Because if you really believe that the 100million of you would have taken up arms and murdered Congress.

I have seen dysfunctional corrupt governments. I have also seen the politicians concerned being voted out of office and then literally attacked by mobs, and then followed by their conviction and imprisonment for corruption. All from a nation with 90%+ voluntary voter turnout. The fact that politicians sucked is no excuse for not voting.
In short, you don't need perfect ideal politicians in order to vote. My birthplace kicked a corrupt party out and replaced it with a new one. The new party ended up being corrupt too so the population voted them out and replace with new people AGAIN. They would keep trying until they get someone that worked. At no stage did they think their votes didn't count. After all, with 90% turnout every vote mattered. You can't count on your opposition being lazy.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2011-08-13 at 04:39.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote