View Single Post
Old 2012-07-17, 05:27   Link #1297
astray71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Eh, I'd be happy with a straight SAO adaptation. Largely because I really dislike the damsel in distress shtick, and consequently how it killed Asuna as a character who actually does stuff instead of mostly sitting around looking pretty. It also dealt a big blow to all of Asuna's talk of being the one who'll protect Kirito in the SAO arc.

And strictly speaking, it wasn't so much "they" as "he." (damsel in distress plot ) Asuna did a few things, but in the end (and especially the end) she was just the trophy hanging on the wall stuck waiting for somebody to grab her first.
I actually prefer the SAO arc over any of the other arcs. It might just be me, but SAO was the most entertaining since there weren't that many characters (Kirito, Asuna, Egil, Klein) and it was only centered around the few of them. And then, they were forced into the game 24/7 and their lives had already adapted to grinding, farming, clearing, etc and there's a certain (I don't know the word off my head) effect that makes you want to keep going.

Then came ALO which introduced Kirito's cousin as a player and the part where they had to travel to the giant tree got really old really fast. And they took away Asuna for a huge chunk of it!! Then we find that she's being held hostage (kinda) in another MMORPG which is an adaption of the original SAO and Kirito had to go save her. I mean, seriously, wings? I get that this is a fantasy game, but... meh, I guess I just don't like it because it is a slightly "damsel in distress" cliche and I find it boring.

GGO was a pretty nice read. Sinon was a pretty cool character and she had a nice backstory, but then when it came to killing Death Gun, I felt that they dragged it out a little too long.

Volume 7 was a good read, though my favorite part was when Kirito came in and helped Asuna and her group into the boss room.

I haven't read Volume 9 yet, so I can't comment on it.

P.S. In the side story that's labeled Volume 1 Chapter 16.5, I feel like that part should be included into Chapter 16. Did they put it as a side story because of the M rated content or no?
astray71 is offline   Reply With Quote