View Single Post
Old 2013-01-12, 21:39   Link #63
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
No matter what you say but rating plays big role when it comes to first impression. If it were two different shows but with the same premises, which one would you choose first? The one at spot 130 or the one at 470? Or the one at spot 2?!
I'd choose the show that contains elements of genre(s) that would appeal most to me. And if they were basically the same genre-wise, I'd go with the show with the most appealing art. And if they both had visually appealing art, then I'd do with the one that has the more interesting sounding premise. Personally, I only use rankings such as mentioned above to see how popular something is, and that's something I do generally after watching the show. But that's just me. I do know that there are people to whom ratings and rankings are everything.

I used to hate the 10 point scale because people were using it differently and sometimes even incorrectly (it's the 10 point scale, not the 20 or the 100 point scale), but since then I've realised that all rating scales have their own pros and cons, and that they all mean different things to different people. Similar to relentless, I'd also prefer if we could do away with the numbers because the review/critque/analysis/what have you is what really matters to me. However, I do the see the appeal of assigning a number to something to show how good it was/how much you enjoyed it/whatever compared to other shows. Not to mention that there's also a lot less effort involved than writing a review or something similar.

SAO was, and I'm sure it'll continue to be, something special to me. Nothing more, nothing less.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote