View Single Post
Old 2013-01-14, 22:21   Link #72
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Cliche #2: Every girl falls for the main character. True, he's a good guy, but seriously? Can't we see a story where most of the girls just end up friends with him? And they usually want to jump him within hours of meeting him, too. The only thing that made it bearable, was that we knew he was spoken for with Asuna. So the "harem" felt fake and tacked on. Honestly, I was at least hoping they'd put in the female character or two who comes onto a guy to get free gifts, so if they were going to do anything in a girl falling for him, they could have at least done that much.

Cliche #3: The crazy bad guy, Sugo. Wasn't much to him, other than he was nuts, trying to play God and have everything. Kayaba at least had some subtle and interesting aspects to his character (as little as we saw him). Sugo was fairly one-dimensional, coming across more as an "I am evil!" bad guy. I would have preferred seeing more revelations and complexity to Sugo(and perhaps Kayaba as well), to fully flesh them out as antagonists.
OMG, These are exactly the main points of the story I hated. Reki seems to have 2 obsessions with his writings.
1. Every girl must fall for the main character, and eventually be heart-broken and rejected...
2. Every bad-guy must be a sociopathic psycho, modeled after cartoon villains, who are evil for the sake of being evil. The only exception to this rule is Kayaba himself. Even in his Accel World story, that kid who blackmailed them was only a twisted sociopath for the sake of being a twisted sociopath.

I feel that Reki is very limited in terms of character development, and that is the greatest flaw in SAO.

That aside, the story is actually quite great. Personally, I don't watch too much anime or anything, and SAO is the first i'd come by with the concept and story it had (though I've heard of others, like .hack...)
Really it makes me think of a lot of the implications of different advances in technology. It also makes me wish I was in their position... no matter how terrifying it may be xD

I can't really give the series a number. It was a great story, with too many flaws, I guess. I'm indecisive here.
Honestly, Reki just needs to learn to better develop characters, and he'd be set...
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote