View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 15:22   Link #29
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
The more I think about it ... I don't know that they need to kill the "fiend" to win (in the long run).

If they all split up and use guerilla tactics (yes not their style perhaps, but everyone has to adapt) and kill all the rats they can when the "fiend" isn't around, then it won't matter whether they kill the "fiend". Sure they'll take losses when they stumble into the "fiend", but the rats seem to be pretty spread out & present a lot of targets.

For example, if the rest of the humans actually knew that the "fiend" was in Tokyo with a handful of rats, they should be able to wipe the rest out. The "fiend" can still only be in one place at one time.

A good commander should be able to take advantage of this & force the rats to move their key piece somewhere predictable & then strike at other targets once they can account for the "fiend". Of course improved communications (which I was really hoping Saki would brainstorm into) would help a ton with this ...
Well, the interesting thing mentioned by Tomiko is that through the education and hypnosis process, most of the villagers are "sheep": docile and unquestioning. They've essentially been intellectually and creatively lobotomized, so coming up with creative plans to fight back is beyond them. When attacked they simply run around like fools getting slaughtered. In fact, they have to be told to get into their teams of five and merge groups if necessary; it's not something that they spontaneously decide.

This might not be a problem, but for the fact that the self-appointed protectors, like the Ethics Committee and the Wildlife Management force, have proven to be absolutely terrible at their jobs. Tomiko was stunningly incompetent at her job, and she probably only kept the role due to her society's avoidance of conflict (who would challenge her directly?) and lingering Japanese elder-respect. I mean, no one seems to mind that Tomiko's hand-picked successor is a 26 year-old of average Cantu power who has violated the rules of society several times and was ordered to be killed twice!

In the end, if the human society falls, it will be because the initial advantage PK gave its users over regular humans came to be a great disadvantage as society relied on its use far too greatly.