View Single Post
Old 2006-07-22, 07:51   Link #20
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Valdra & Sushi-Y

Oh, indeed they are a bargain as I stated before, especially when compared to the DVD set. Limited editions... make me cry. Because if it is limited, it makes me want it even more. Damn.

As for learning Japanese and then watching Air, I've actually found myself giving a running breakdown of the first three episodes when watching a DVD raw at a friend's house, as I'd just watched various fansub versions that much that I pretty much knew the 'script' by then, as it were. So for Air, I have already somewhat memorised large chunks of the series. Not having subs would be a pain, but not necessarily a tremendous disadvantage.

There are really two major blocks to me buying the set on blu-ray - one being the cost & time delay between me buying it and then being able to watch it - looking at the cost of blu-ray players, I won't be getting one until around 2008, at a guess. How stable is blu-ray media when stored, I wonder. I'd hope it was sufficiently stable, at least. Oh, and then there's the nice issue (incorporated in the first reason still!) of region coding - Japan will be blu-ray region one, if I remember correctly, bundled with the US. But I'm not in the US, being one of those Australian types... where, at the moment, region coding is apparently illegal, due to the way it affects the Fair Trading act. Of course, since we are implementing a version of the DMCA thanks to our majestically intellectual government's 'free trade' agreement with the US, it's possible that region locking will become legal again. What region will we end up - and will bypassing those regions still be easily possible with blu-ray? Or will I have to import a player solely for the reason of playing the AIR disks?

As you can see - problems and costs mounting there.

The other reason I'd hold back is the maybe-kinda-probably not but still hoping possibilty that AIR may yet get a US license, which means I'd still be able to get a very decent version of the show with a translation that doesn't require frequent fansub watching, that I can play on my existing home theatre equipment. Unlikely I know. But hope springs eternal.

That said - I might just see what my VISA status is around October, and make a very difficult decision. ^_^

-Andiyar