Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-26, 21:17   Link #196
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSD-25 View Post
If you only know 'bits and pieces' then I suggest you study hard and learn before you even consider moving to the country full time.

I imagine there are places that will hire you but again knowing Japanese is going to be required if you're going to work with people that don't have a great understanding of English (IE, most any job you'll find).

What do you mean? Are you planning on getting a driver's license? In that case I'm un sure. If I were you I'd move somewhere with public transportation.

Yes and No. If you're asking if you'll be seen as an 'outsider' then yes it's true. For example many property owners will be iffy or outright refuse to rent to a gaijin. I suggest you have a local friend help you with things like this if you do plan on going.

Will you get odd looks in public? Sure. Will kids point and say rude things about you? Sure. Often times they don't mean to be mean and/or rude though, you just look odd to them and in the case of the kid he's probably never seen someone from outside of Asia before. This will vary from person to person though, most of the time people are very friendly. I got a lot of "Your Japanese is very good" when I visited the country durring high school (I took entry level japanese in high school). My Japanese was and still is very poor, but they tell you how good it is anyway. I was also told the similar things when I used chopsticks (something any japanese child can do).

See above

Depends on where you live. Although I suggest you read up on the differnce between a 'western' bath and a japanese bath.

Should be the least of your concerns atm. Moving to Japan is not something one should do on a whim, it's a long process with much paper work to be done and many things you'll have to learn. Study the culture, the language, the people, visit the country a few times then decide if you'd like to live there.

so should i forget it "because i know not to give up but in my situwation" i shouldn't ?

I want to add one other detail my paret are from ireland and i travel about maybe 15 to 20 time from when i'm young to now with my father and i work over there help out my farther with his properity and operated heavy machinery

and i might consider working over there and there is a problem that i experience "even those my parent were born in this country and me going back with my father so many time - i fell there is some bias against me because irish-american but is doesn't brother me because i ignore them

i make good money here in the state but i fell that there is not enough work in NY " i'm not saying work is dead but for me is complicated "

is just that " what is best 4 me " and i my answer is i don't know

but also considering moving to pittsburgh near my brother in laws and one of my sister

so there is a alot a concerplating and decision making
CTU:AGENT_HOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote