View Single Post
Old 2012-10-14, 02:05   Link #1353
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
Watch it, your straw man is burning.
What she is talking about is getting the fucking government out of our personal lives.
Like telling us what kinds of light bulbs we can buy, what we can or cannot say, what we can or cannot own, what kinds of food we can eat (and I Don't mean safety issues), what kind of healthcare we can have, what kind of car we can buy or should own
I'm on the fence for this type of issue. There are some things the government is given authority over simply because it is has been deemed for the betterment of society. Beyond infrastructure and basic protections and services (food, etc), the government should be able to prevent its citizens from harming each other unnecessarily. This is why we have drug regulations and laws, this is why we have certain environmental and animal laws, this is why we have generally accepted restrictions on a variety of products and producers, etc.

There are so many things the government does that is partially an "infringement" on our personal rights, but we, as a society, both want and need quite a few of these infringements. That's not to say that the government doesn't go too far at times (the light bulbs that you have mentioned), but there are far more acceptable "infringements" than many on the "get the government out of our lives" side are willing to admit, which in turn annoys many on the left (of course, there are far more unnecessary infringements than the left should be willing to accept).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Vexx, can I have your vote for President 2012?

(Thanks for the reply, Solace, I'll answer later.)
Don't waste your vote on Vexx. You should vote for Max Frost for President. .

Kudos to anyone who gets the reference.

Last edited by james0246; 2012-10-14 at 02:24.