View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 06:52   Link #1154
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Actually, IS Academy is a research facility where scientists test their latest toy, so there are potentially abuses. For example, Laura's IS had the Valkyrie system installed, but the author decided not to go into depth investigating the issue. Anyway, what do you mean by IS citizenship? Do you mean the representative candidacy? And about exploiting Ichika's status as a man, I doubt that he needs IS academy permission to undergo black ops operations. He'd be just like Kamijou Touma, doing all sorts of work without actually officially siding with anyone. I would also like to see more organisations in the future. Phantom Corps is involved in some world conspiracy, but so far that's only just one organisation. I really found it disbelieving that organisations don't secretly deploy their IS in black-ops operation. Ichika still does not have an organisation that endorses him, so it would be brilliant if there's an organisation ,that opposes the phantom corps, that supports him. From what I can see, I doubt that the Japanese Government will never support him apart from giving a personalised IS--they were probably coerced by Tabane to do it in the first place. In addition, the author rarely expands on the lore of the world of IS, which is supposed to be mandatory, given this is a sci-fi.There's a great degree of world-wide politics in the world of IS,but he has added relatively few information regarding the way how the world revolves, something that is an enormous contrast to Toaru majutsu no Index. When there are multiple countries involved, you genuinely believe that there's probably going to be all sorts of plots against other countries, bickerings, threats of war, conspiracies. None of that however, ever materialised--I just think that this is the largest let down. No country seemed to want to abduct Ichika and make them their lab rat. If vol. eight does not change for the better, IS is out of my attention. For now, the pattern of this story is always harem bickering, then a random fight at the start of a tournament. They have never even bothered explaining why they consistently attacked Ichika and his harem. It's just so pointless. What could they possibly achieve by attacking a group of students?Furthermore, should security be increased dramatically since the Academy is always attacked? There are just so many plot holes in this series.There just aren't any unusual situations in the light novels.In the past, I have always defended the series, but now, I can no longer tolerance this, I'm at my limits.
The valkyrie system was researched by German, not the IS academy's staff. Like I said, IS academy is more like a test field instead of a research base, all the research are done by each country, not IS academy. About black ops operation, who will involve Ichika in that kind of things? He's not affiliated with any country, and unlike Academy City, IS Academy doesn't involve itself in diplomacy matter at all so they have no use for black ops unit. Remember, IS Academy is not a research base, doesn't stand anywhere diplomacy wise, extremely neutral, just a normal high school that's used as field test for the latest IS and have IS related curriculum, and they lose their students after 3 years(unlike Academy City which held their students from child, and even up until they graduate from college). Which is why, unlike Academy City's denizen who thinks academy city as their home, the student in IS academy doesn't feel the same. There's no way they will join a black ops that might damage their own home country. Besides that, why send greenhorn students when you have your country representative who's much more skillful than Ichika and co.(they're all on Tatenashi's level, and Ichika's IS still can't cover the difference in piloting skill).

Not only that, in To aru, Touma's weapon is his right hand, which he can easily bring everywhere with him. In here, Ichika's weapon is a highly classified high-tech weapon. He will definitely get caught and be reprimanded heavily(probably expelled from academy) should he join an operation outside the school. It's just like if Touma decide to steal an Academy City's jet for helping Index in England. There's no way he can do that easily and not facing any consequences at all.

And by IS citizenship, I meant which country Byaku Shiki belongs too(which also means which country will take Ichika as representative candidate). The Japanese develops Byaku Shiki, but they don't own Byaku Shiki yet, and the country who get Byaku Shiki basically get the chance to investigate Tabane's personal creation.

About why the enemy attacks Ichika, you have to understand that there's only 2 vol so far where the "would be" main enemy attacks Ichika. The other 2, he gets attacked by Tabane's creation just so Tabane can get data(not sure what's for, Tabane's like the Aleister Crowley of Index). The rest is either personal battle or a unit gone awry and Ichika unfortunately has to face it. It's still early to reveal the main reason for attacking Ichika, and I give the author the benefit of doubt in this matter. We also doesn't know why Touma get involved in Aleister's plan even after 23 volumes of story right?

You keep comparing IS to To aru, but that's not a fair comparison, they're in a completely different genre, not to mention the difference in targeted audience. It's like comparing a highschool story with a little bit of battle like Medaka Box with a battle story that the main character just happened to be in high school like Bleach. Of course the battle story like Bleach will have more chance to expand the lore, because the character keep skipping class just to join the adventure and adding to finding out the world's lore. On the other hand, for the highschool story such as IS and Medaka Box, the students still do their students duty, and just happened to get dragged into battle inside that happened inside the school. There's less chance to expand the lore when the main character mostly spend his time in school, just like how a normal student should be. Sometimes you have to wonder, how can Touma not get expelled when he spend more time skipping class to go everywhere to save the world than staying there just like a normal student. He barely do any student duties such as learning and attending class. If you want to compare IS, it's better to compare it to story that have highschool as the main setting such as Ichiban Daimaou or Kampfer.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote