View Single Post
Old 2008-01-16, 00:20   Link #439
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Just my quick two cents on the issue.

I note a firing delay with all homing shots that have been used. I attribute this to a process which appears logical to me, as follows:

1) Mage spots targets and designates the targets.
2) Mage utters spell and generates homing shots.
3) With synchronisation with the mage's mind, the Intelligent Device calculates windage, angle, power, coriolis effect, range, and locks onto the targets designated by the mage's mind.
4) This information is processed and sorted concurrently with the magical processing to generate the spell.
5) Shots are fired.
6) Device controls the locking on and course correction for the shots, or downloads sufficient data into the shots to allow them to retarget (like Plasma Lancer). For other mage-controlled shots, the Mage essentially thinks "Go here" and the Device translates that into shot-speak.

This process is actually quite similar to a missile launch. The fighter detects the target on radar, and locks it. The targeting information is sent to the missile. The missile then locks onto the target, and is then launched.

As for Keroko's statement that you don't need to aim with a device, it begs asking what Nanoha was doing pointing Raging Heart at Vita when the latter was advancing on her in Episode 1 of A's.

Furthermore, the idea that you don't need to aim at close range is quite ridiculous, considering all the red dot sights being used for close quaters battle.

I believe in miracles.