View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 14:05   Link #51
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
While I personally cheer for a Kanba x Himari end, I also fell in love with these siblings because of their deep family love. This episode reinforces that theme. The previous episode would've felt incredibly a lot less endearing if Kanba just sold out his parents on the spot. On the surface that might seem romantic, but Kanba would just be another siscon to me. A person who's blind to passion can be seen anywhere, I would like to think Kanba is above that. Love isn't always measured by a person to ignore all reasoning and betray others. That's a theme too highly overrated and idealized (obviously personal subjectivity here).

I guess I'm just a very family-centric person. I rarely even post in here, but I felt the past two episodes are especially strong just because how heartwarming (and heart-wrenching) they felt at the end. There really aren't that many series these days that show such strong bonding within the family (personally I'm quite jealous of them).
That's where we fundamentally disagree. I don't see romantic love or friendship as being in any way cheaper than familial love, quite the contrary in fact. I don't believe you have the obligation to unconditionally love anybody you have blood ties with. Persons blinded by blood ties are about as common as persons blinded by passion. I think one should love people for who they are, not what they are to them. Kanba's parents are terrorists who killed innocent people and left their children behind to run away. I would have the same stance as Shoma regarding them (although I wouldn't hate them, I learned years ago it's a waste of time to hate anybody). And those are not empty words: I only saw my mother twice those past ten years, during the funerals of family members I did care about because they were genuinely good people (among which was someone that was closest to a mother to me).

I'm aware it's bit off-topic, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

/my life.

Actually, it may not be that off-topic as I believe this a point Ikuhara might be trying to make too. We have been shown several cases where "family obligations" only led to suffering: Tabuki, Yuri, Ringo to some extent. On the other hand, we have Kanba, Shouma and Himari, who despite not being blood related all love each other deeply.