View Single Post
Old 2011-07-22, 21:47   Link #6
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Avatar also had some decent Mechs, though not quite as good as District 9.

I think we're capable of churning out mecha to compete with the Japanese. It would be a terrible thing if giant robots continued to be only associated with Transformers and Michael Bay... For one thing, Transformers have no pilots, so the human characters inevitably feel tacked on.

I'm getting the feeling this movie could feel a bit like Evangelion. Obviously it will have it's own plot and direction (and probably not contain otaku bait like Rei/Asuka), but it shares that whole "apocalyptic monsters invading" thing. And we know that del Toro can nail stuff being horrific. Who knows what weird stuff he'll think up!
I wanted to like the mechs from 'Avatar', but they looked a bit too similar to the powerloader in 'Aliens.'

I agree. I totally agree. I think with the VFX technology rapidly improving, we could start seeing more films similar to 'Pacific Rim' -- in that they'll feature giant bi-pedal mech or robots in general.

Yeah, a lot of people are drawing parallels between 'Pacific Rim' and 'Evangelion', and that's fair, there are some notable similarities. But in the end, I think Del Toro will allow this film to stand on its own two legs.

Anyway, here's a logo that was spotted at Comic-Con today:

Spoiler:

Del Toro also provided this statement at Legendary Pictures' panel today: "It is my duty to commit to film the finest fucking monsters ever committed to screen and it is my duty to create the greatest fucking robots ever committed to screen.

I can't wait for this.

EDIT: Here's a video of Guillermo Del Toro talking about wanting to push the boundaries of VFX technology with this film:

'Pacific Rim' will also have its own panel tomorrow, really looking forward to getting more info.

Last edited by Tetra Vaal; 2011-07-23 at 01:44.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote