Thread: Licensed Date A Live [Light Novel]
View Single Post
Old 2014-08-01, 11:40   Link #9481
Superbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I've just read the last chapter in Volume 10. I shudder to imagine just how many people inversed Origami slaughtered. To read the spoilers was one thing, but to read the actual text itself is another matter altogether. The narrative successfully painted a vivid picture of just how apocalyptic that carnage was. I suspect even the shelters were not immune to Inverse Origami's beams of doom.

No wonder the author seems to have difficulties deciding the direction DaL should take after the Origami arc - he just turned the entire setting where the story took place so far, Tenguu City into a hell hole of death and destruction. If subsequent volumes reveal that Tonomachi and Ai, Mai and Mii were killed off during Origami's rampage in this chapter, the High School setting of Date a Live would be utterly broken for good, and I can see the author going down this route. Shoo out the clowns indeed.

There's no way to re-establish the status quo, after this chapter. And I applaud the author's bravery, in nuking the setting he spent 10 volumes building up and crafting stories in.
The status quo would be broken if this were almost any other series. But since spacequakes are a major and common part of this series, very little would actually change. If the events of Volume 7, where Miku took control of every one and Inverse Tohka carved a large chunk out of the city (at least in the anime),but only managed to move the timing of the school festival, Origami's attacks will be written off as another spacequake. And since the majority of Origami's attacks will be focused on the spirits and Yoshino and Natsumi are working on minimizing damage, the casualty count might not be that bad.
Superbia is offline   Reply With Quote