View Single Post
Old 2007-04-21, 02:06   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... compared to Gotou or, say, Yu Asakawa --- Hirano is a little sprite, still not battleship class.
(I kind of miss Yu Asakawa, haven't seen her listed in a while)

Listening to Hirano do "haruhi" versus "konata" scores her some points in actually being able to do different characterizations (they're really very little alike). I'm more impressed by VAs who can actually do different voices or different personalities. If Hirano doesn't blow a gasket under the corporate stress to soar --- she'll really hit her stride in about five years.
Gomen, but I just feel like she *nailed* Konata's karaoke style.
Oh, I won't even deny that I think this is by far the best role she's ever done. She really puts her soul into her characters. She needs to stick with these things she can do and not be forced into some sort of mold by the industry. She's only 19 and she's already had a fainting spell under the stress causing them to mericifully (for her sake) scale back all the conventions to a manageable number.

Oh, and once she can cast of the Haruhi (Her Seinfeld curse, a blessing as well as a stigma, a double edged sword for her career if you will) role once and for all and not be typecast by people to that role ("Oh my god she sounds like Haruhi, she did Haruhi, that's Auto-Win") she'll be free. I can almost picture her being like a female Michael Richards with her being called Haruhi (Kramer in his case) during a live appearance and her pleading that she is Aya Hirano and not Suzumiya Haruhi to deaf ears.

Until then I wish people would give her a bloody break and not force the idol status or unreasonable expecations on her. You'd think people think she is some sort of supergirl or something, but the fainting spell should be the ultimate warning signal that it's just to much. Sometimes I worry that if she doesn't do the Haruhi role again soon people will start harassing her about it in interviews, e-mails and on the internet.

Also, you've got to love her powers of time-travel in getting back to 1985 to do a role in SPT Layzner, 2 years before she was even born. That was amusing, and part of a larger and somewhat amusing case of a misread name kanji.